In the IELTS Speaking Test Part 1, a simple question such as “Where are you from?” can be answered to with a detailed response, as follows:
I live in a metropolitan city called Delhi. It is a capital of India. If I have to describe Delhi, I would say that it’s too crowded because it has more than 27 million inhabitants. Another significant characteristic is that it is the home to three UNESCO’s world heritage sites i.e. the Red Fort, the Humayun Tomb and the Qutub Enclave. Finally, I would like to say that it has extreme weather conditions in winters as well as summers because of its proximity to the Himalayas and the Thar dessert.
The above mentioned is the sample answer to the question “Where are you from? Or From which part of the country you belong to?” So, you have seen that how one can develop the answer for such a simple question about your town.
Below mentioned are the steps to develop your answer for your home town.
- Start your answer with descriptive language like metropolitan city or small town instead of just city or town.
- Add any special thing about the city, if it is famous or tell about its located in the country.
- Talk about the population of your town.
- Further add more about historical places.
- You can also add details about famous parks, landmarks and shopping arcades.
- You can add details about famous industries of your area.
- Talk about its proximity to any famous areas.
- You can talk also describe the place/street where you live.
- Of course, you can add more details in the exam, if you have something to say.